About the Club

History of Broughty Bowling Club

 

Please find below an overview of the club and its history. If you would like a more in-depth look at the club’s history, please visit our Full History page.

  • The Club was established in 1875, in Albert Road, Broughty Ferry, rent at that time was £25 per annum 
  • In 1892, 122 Clubs formed the Scottish Bowling Association. Broughty Bowling Club was one of the founding members
  • 1922 the former owners of the Club, The Taymount Company, wound up when Broughty Bowling Club became the new owners of the green for the grand fee of £500
  • The original “Bowl-house” is now a greenkeeper’s tool shed, though it had wide wings and later on a veranda. The current Club House was first considered in 1919.  The Ladies Section was formed in 1924
  • Historically, our regular fixture list includes matches against Whitehall, Aberdeen and Queens Park, Glasgow. Events have been played with the Rotary Club since 1926 in support of local charities. Mid week & Saturday friendly matches have been played for many years with local Scottish Clubs, as far afield as Perth, Forfar, Arbroath and many others around the Dundee area forming numerous long-term friends
  • In 1927 the City of Dundee Bowling Association was formed, we were amongst the first members
  • During 1953 the Scottish Bowling Association chose Broughty for the International Trial Match attracting some 500 visitors
  • Again in 1956 we were honoured to host The Commonwealth Games Elimination Tournament
  • The prestigious competition, “The Barclay” (the Barclay Cup Competition), first played in 1885 the latest win by Broughty was as recent as 2016
  • The Gent’s Annual Dinner is held in the Club House as are our many other social events in the calendar
  • The Club maintains an on-going refurbishment programme. The result is that today we have a Club of which we may be proud

Who’s who?

Honorary Office Bearers